Director: Dan Sully
Genre: Social Realism/Dark comedy
Year: 2012
Length: 5 Minutes
My expectation: Before watching the film I expected it to be shot in the documentary style following the life of a normal individual. Although, I also thought that there may be some complexities which get discoved as the film progresses, making a societal point.
However, when watching the film it was clear that the documentary style would have been far too anticlimactic regarding the plot line. Instead you were positioned as the listener to a story. The flashbacks and dramatic dialogue all dramatised the events creating an uncomfortable but curious atmosphere. Although, I had predicted that it may make a societal point this was shown through the topic of knife crime, exploring a topic many only experience though the news.I enjoyed the use of colour grading in the flashbacks. The present was lighter whereas the past was hazy and dark, this added tension and tightened a viewers feeling of intensity as well as juxtaposing their emotions. I also liked the contrasting performances from the silent/muffled past of the stabbing to the energetic atmosphere of the present.
I didn't like the comedic and ambiguous ending as I felt that it made the stabbing appear less significant and hard hitting making it seem as a game and not a real issue.
Anything I may use?:
In my film I hope to use colour grading to distinguish different times and/or make a viewer feel a specific way.
In my film I hope to use colour grading to distinguish different times and/or make a viewer feel a specific way.
https://www.shortoftheweek.com/2013/03/14/the-ellington-kid/ - 'The Ellington Kid'

No comments:
Post a Comment